Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 196: Hoppyum IPA


Name: Hoppyum IPA
Brewer: Foothills Brewing Co. (Winston-Salem, NC)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 6.2%

Thoughts: North Carolina is slowly becoming one of the best state's in the US for Craft Brew. I can argue all day about it, but here is some hard evidence. I have had some Foothills Brews featured on this blog before, but I don't think I have given them their due credit. This is their IPA, Hoppyum, and it pours a darker, sparkling gold with a great fizzy head resting on top. I stuck my nose down deep in the foam to get a real sense of what was happening in their and got a great fresh citrus hop smell and some juicy pineapple notes. A very resilient nose as it stayed strong through out the drinking experience. The taste was somewhere on the borderline between good and great. Lots of tangy grapefruit, bitter hops, pine, and grassy malts build on each other to make a complete taste. There is nothing lacking in this beer it just doesn't wow me like a few other IPAs that I've had. Despite that, it may be the best IPA made in North Carolina. 

Rating: 88/100


1 comment: