Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 202: Cottonwood ENDO IPA



Name: Cottonwood ENDO IPA
Brewer: Foothills Brewery (Winston-Salem, NC)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 

Thoughts: I had Cottonwood Pumpkin during my Oktoberfest celebration during the month of October. I said then that this company had just been bought by Foothill Brewing. I really liked their Pumpkin Ale, in fact is one of my favorites, so I wanted to see if their IPA could hold up. It pours a dark ruby brown with very little head to speak of. I even poured aggressively and you can see the how little head there was in the picture. To me this smelled more malty and sweet than hoppy and citrusy, which makes me feel like this is a British IPA not an American style IPA. However, they say it is American so I will have to trust them. The taste of this beer has an initial bite of hops, but settles back down into the toasted malts and caramel sweetness that I smelled. It does finish dry and bitter like an IPA though which is nice. Not the fanciest IPA I've ever had but I could easily drink a few of these. This IPA does not try to overwhelm you with flowery hops that can at times seem overwhelming in other beers of this style.

Rating: 79/100


No comments:

Post a Comment