Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 182: Hop Head Red



Name: Hop Head Red
Brewer: Green Flash Brewing (San Diego, CA)
Classification: Amber Ale 
Alcohol: 7%

Thoughts: Green Flash's Imperial IPA has been sitting in my Top 10 for 4 or 5 months now and I think it is about time I try another beer from them. I settled on their Amber Ale/Red IPA Hop Head Red. I have heard great things about it so I kind of had high expectations. It pours a dark amber with a thick, heavy off-white head that laced the glass the whole way down. The smell has bright and sunny for an Amber Ale. There were plenty of florally hops that overshadowed the caramel and bready malts. The taste of this beer followed suit with sweet, bitter hops and roasted malts. There are simple notes in the taste but they pack a lot of energy and really give this brew a great charge over the palate and down the throat. The mouthfeel of this beer is creamy, but smooth. The best Amber Ale I have had on this blog is 5 A.M. Saint and this is just a tad behind it. I think Green Flash is an amazingly talented brewery and this is only the second beer I've had. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of these. 

Rating: 89/100



1 comment:

  1. I simply wished to thank you so much again. I'm not certain the things that I would have created without those opinions shared by you relating to such situation. Completely was the fearsome matter for me, however , being able to see the expert style you handled the issue took me to leap for fulfillment. I am just happy for this information and thus hope that you recognize what a great job you're doing instructing the rest by way of your web blog. I know that you've never encountered any of us.
    Ridgid 30088 Large Diameter Ratcheting Plastic Pipe and Tubing Cutter

    ReplyDelete