Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 255: Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale



Name: Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale
Brewer: Kiuchi Brewery (Ibaraki, Japan)
Classification: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
Alcohol: 7%

Thoughts: People in the beer world may have heard of Hitachino Nest brews. They make a good selection of beers and they are well respected. However, they can be very difficult to find. I found a few kinds yesterday when I was shopping at Sam's Quik Shop. I did have to shell out $5 for this 11.2oz bottle. That is $30 for a six-pack! So if you go looking for it, just know it will cost you some monies. It poured a cloudy orangey-gold with a quickly evaporating head. The smells floating from the glass were very sweet, like a sticky nectar. It was fragrant and perfume-like too. I wasn't sure what to expect out of this beer since it is Japanese. They can be a little odd sometimes and I half expected this to taste like octopus juice or something like that. Luckily it did not. It did taste like a more tart version of a traditional Belgian Pale Ale. It was biting me all over the palate and down the throat. I assume it was the carbonation or the fermented rice. In addition you get citrus, strawberry, and some peppery spice. It is a rather complex beer that shows a real talent for brewing. I have to try more of these beers. I just need someone to fund it.

Rating: 88/100


No comments:

Post a Comment