Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 246: Sweet Josie Brown Ale



Name: Sweet Josie Brown Ale
Brewer: Lonerider Brewing Co. (Raleigh, NC)
Classification: American Brown Ale
Alcohol: 6.1%

Thoughts: Sweet Josie Brown is a local legend in Raleigh. Everybody serves it and everybody drinks it. Today I need a little Raleigh Luck as I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see if NC State got into the NCAA Tournament. They did and I was able to enjoy this wonderful American Brown Ale. It poured a dark, chocolate brown with a heavy tan head. After sticking my nose deep into the glass to get a full whiff I picked up rich roasted malts, a small hint of bittersweet chocolate and a fresh nuttiness. Sometimes with Brown Ales the first couple of sips seem to form lumps in my throat and it takes a minute to adjust to the absence of any hops. And even though Sweet Josie doesn't have much in the hop department the malts are just phenomenal and fresh as can be. The malts are roasted, toasted and sweet. There is a bit of chocolate nibs and some caramel or toffee in the finish. This beer is also smooth, full bodied and rather drinkable for such a malty beer. This rivals Big Boss's Bad Penny as my favorite Brown Ales I have ever had ... And they are both made right here in the Triangle!

Rating: 85/100


No comments:

Post a Comment