Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 243: Raison D'Etre



Name: Raison D'Etre
Brewer: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, DE)
Classification: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Alcohol: 8%

Thoughts: Raison D’Etre is French for “reason for being”. I know because I speak a little French or Je parle un peu de Francais. Many people may have their own reason for being. I have many. My wife, my family, my friends, music and of course beer! This beer pours a rich mahogany color with a finger-wide tan head. When I smelled it, there was a mellow sourness and hints of sweetness as well. After a good couple of face-in-the-glass sniffs, I picked up on the raisin in the nose, but was personally unable to differentiate the raisin in the nose as green raisin as opposed to regular old red raisin. This has quite a creamy/oily mouthfeel and seems to be medium to full bodied. There is a slight hint at the finish that there has a higher alcohol content. The beer feels quite carbonated and alive in the mouth but it settles quickly. The flavor profiles are comparable to that of a good deep red wine. There is a sweetness that precedes the soon-to-come, slightly sour hop notes and strong flavors of raisin and dark plummy fruit. There is also a good amount of oakiness in the flavor. It is a complex beer in a lot of ways and it is interesting, but it has no joy in it. It seems like it is a challenge to like it. It makes for a great session beer, but not one I would want to drink with friends or at a bar. It is not a reason for being for me. 

Rating: 79/100


No comments:

Post a Comment