Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 263: Pale Ale #1 (Power Out)

I finally brewed my own beer! You can go onto the My Beer page to check out the brewing process and see how I made it. The name of my brewery is SMASH Brewery, and I plan on naming beers after musical references. If you are an Arcade Fire fan then you may recognize the name of this beer from their 2004 album Funeral. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) is one of my favorite songs and this beer is worthy of the name. At least that is how I feel. However, to remain objective I let my friend Matt review it. I find it only fair since I reviewed two of his beers: Kitchen Sink and Sink or Swim. Read what he has to say below. 

Matt with a fresh Power Out


Name: Pale Ale #1 (Power Out)
Brewer: SMASH Brewery (Durham, NC)
Classification: American Pale Ale 
Alcohol: 5.2%

Thoughts: This is a guest blog post for Kyle's blog to review the beer that he brewed to remove some of the reviewer bias.  This is his first beer and he should be very pleased with his handiwork.  The beer pours with a minimal head and the smell is similar to freshly baked bread.  The color is a golden brown and looks very appetizing.  The first thing you should know about the beer is that it feels so good when it hits your lips.  The beer is smooth with a little bit of zing at the end.  All in all for a first brew this is a good beer and I would recommend it.  I'm actually on my third one and would happily take this beer out and drink it outside on a warm spring day.  I think that Kyle is well on his way to becoming a good brewmaster and I look forward to trying his next beer. 

Rating: 84/100 (Matt's Score, Not Mine)


No comments:

Post a Comment