Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 266: Ommegang Abbey Ale


Name: Abbey Ale
Brewer: Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY)
Classification: Dubbel
Alcohol: 8.5%

Thoughts: The Wife and I were in Baltimore visiting friends and we hit up a restaurant called Abbey Burger in the Federal Hill area. They have an impressive list of burger toppings and an even more impressive beer list. I waded though it and I felt Ommegang's Abbey Ale at Abbey Burger was appropriate. Poured into a chalice-like glass this dark auburn colored brew was topped by a quickly evaporating, off-white head. The aroma is simply gorgeous. I got dark fruits like fig and cherry mixed together with a wonderful sweetness that consisted of cinnamon, raw sugar and caramel. I smelled it before every sip because it seemed to add to the overall enjoyment of the beer. Sometimes Dubbels are a little heavier in body and can be way to malty in flavor. This Dubbel was much lighter in malt, which was balanced with the hops, which allowed the sweetness and flavors to shine like watching the sun from Mercury! Boom! Pow! Bam! Honey, brown sugar, more cinnamon, more malts, more cherry and figs and lots of badass awesomeness combine to create a sensational taste that cannot be ignored. This is easily one of the best beers I have ever had! However, it just misses the Top 10. Sorry, I don't make up the rules. Oh wait! I do make up the rules. 

Rating: 91/100


No comments:

Post a Comment