Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 252: Leviathan Quad



Name: Leviathan Quad
Brewer: Harpoon Brewery (Boston, MA)
Classification: Quadrupel
Alcohol: 11.75%

Thoughts: Earlier in The Beer Year I had Harpoon's Leviathan Series Imperial IPA. It was pretty great and I knew I would eventually have another Leviathan. Well, I finally got another opportunity to try another one and I wasn't going to pass it up. This Quad pours a deep mahogany with a simple, even tan head. The smells and aroma of this brew were rather bleak for a beer that holds a 11.75% ABV. Yes, I said 11.75%! That is getting into wine territory. There is a bit of toasted bread and dark fruity undertones in there, but they aren't real strong. The taste of this beer is slightly overshadowed by the alcohol. Although it is not a warming alcohol, it is a fruity, flavorful alcohol. Therefore some people may find it as a good thing. Other notes in the flavors are plums, grapes, a dash of pepper and something that reminded me of cough syrup. The feel is very thick and sticky with a moist, alcoholic finish. This beer was a bit all over the place. It is nowhere near the quality of the Imperial IPA, but it wasn't half bad. 

Rating: 81/100


No comments:

Post a Comment