Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 251: Saranac Irish Red Ale



Name: Saranac Irish Red Ale
Brewer: Matt Brewing Company (Utica, NY)
Classification: Irish Red Ale
Alcohol: 4.5%

Thoughts: Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and I really don't know what I will end up drinking for it. So in preparation I wanted to drink an Irish beer from New York, because I am an Irish guy from New York. This Irish Red Ale pours a dark brownish amber color that is slightly opaque and topped by a paper-thin head. The smells are malt rich and tied together with caramel sweetness. It isn't a very strong aroma and makes me think this beer may not be the best thing I've ever had. As a few sips slide down my throat I start to get a good sense of this beer. While the malts are tasty and there is a bit of hop and spice in this beer it doesn't really try too hard. It seems like the brewer was like, "Let's just throw some of this and that in there. I'm sure it will turn out fine." I really like Irish Red Ales. They are a sweeter version of Amber Ales. However, this one feels uninspired and it is rather undesirable. 

Rating: 78/100


No comments:

Post a Comment