Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 31: Mendocino Seasonal Blonde Ale



Name: Seasonal Blonde Ale
Brewer: Mendocino Brewing Co. (Ukiah, CA)
Classification: American Blonde Ale
Alcohol: 5.0%

Thoughts: This is the first offering I have tried from Mendocino. I see there beers all the time, but I have never had one. I was hoping their seasonal was going to be ideal for another hot night. But it wasn't. The pour was nice. Plenty of carbonation and a nice head. It even laced well along the glass. The smell was biscuity and slightly skunky, which I hate. I'm not going to lie, I like my summer bears to be floral, fruity, and refreshing, which is probably one reason that this beer seemed really flat on flavor. In fact, I'd call it just a step up from, say, Coor's Light. There is nothing really bad about it, but there is nothing really good either. In some aspects, it's almost like drinking beer flavored water. I suppose one redeeming value would be that this would be an ideal beer to introduce to a mainstream beer drinking friend who has been to afraid to try craft beer because it might be too strong or weird. Call it a gateway beer, I guess. But I can still think of other beers I would defer to first.

Rating: 63/100


No comments:

Post a Comment