Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 28: Anchor Steam Beer



Name: Anchor Steam Beer
Brewer: Anchor Brewing (San Francisco, CA)
Classification: California Common
Alcohol: 4.9%

Thoughts: Despite the classification of this beer it is a truly uncommon type of beer. I have only heard of a handful of brewers that brew a California Common, but this is the one everybody knows of. And although there is steam in the name the beer is not actually steam. The name comes from the way the carbonation happens when it is brewed. So does it affect the look, smell or taste. It pours a great copper color that I really love in beers. The head is soft and off-white, and it faded quickly while leaving some lace around the inside of the glass. The smell was unique to say the least. The malts are robust and there are hints of nuts and plums. The taste was fairly muted for me and a little too carbonated. I don't like beer to be fizzy. I'll drink champagne or soda if I want that. Beer should be smooth and drinkable. This wasn't really either. The taste is bitter and similar to an English Pale Ale. Anchor Steam has been brewed in San Francisco for well over 100 years, so I am sure there are a lot of fans out there, but I'm not one of them. It was alright, but I want to try a California Common with a little more excitement. 

Rating: 77/100


No comments:

Post a Comment