Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 296: Doggie Style



Name: Doggie Style
Brewer: Flying Dog Brewery (Frederick, MD)
Classification: American Pale Ale
Alcohol: 5.5%

Thoughts: In the past I have avoided Flying Dog because I haven't really had good experiences with their brew. However, I decided to give them another chance and try their classic Pale Ale, Doggie Style. It pours reddish-orange/amber color with absolutely no head whatsoever. The aroma had whiffs of dry hops and pale malts, but everything was faint and slightly dull. I think some more carbonation or yeast would have made the presentation and smells a lot better. The flavor is a little citrusy, with an orange peel tang to it. The hops and malts decide to show up in the taste as they build a good base for the other flavors to build on. Brady tones and some sweetness join in on the festivities. I think the taste of this beer is really good, but everything else fails it's attempt. I judge a beer on its entirety, not one aspect. This has potential, but it needs to concentrate on those other aspects. 

Rating: 83/100




No comments:

Post a Comment