Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 285: Hop Rod Rye



Name: Hop Rod Rye
Brewer: Bear Republic Brewing Co. (Healdsburg, CA)
Classification: Rye Beer
Alcohol: 8%

Thoughts: Hop Rod Rye has received critical acclaim as one of the best Rye IPAs in the craft beer world. I have had a number of chances to try it, but this is the first time I was able to get a bottle of it for The Beer Year. I did make a mistake when drinking in this though. I had it late at night after I had already had a few other beers. My palate probably needed to be cleansed and my stomach was a little full. Despite that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It poured a dark auburn brown with a weak, dissipating head. It was murky like a wheat beer, and I assume this is due to the rye used to brew it. The aroma was much more like a summery beer than a darker beer as this one appears to be. Grassy hops, sweet rye and a good bit of citrus peel are all in the nose of this beer. Its like a mild-mannered IPA but with a hint of wheat or rye. After a few sips of this creamy brew I was really able to get the rye. It is a dark, marbled rye that has more brown sugar than raw sugar. The next thin I noticed was the bitterness. The hops are half grassy and half citrusy, which makes the bitterness rather enjoyable. The rest of the flavors are the usually sweetness and graininess, nothing fancy. Overall I was really impressed by this beer. The more I drank it, the more I wanted it. The last few sips were the best. This is a good example of how a beer grows on you. Two thumbs up and a full recommendation. 

Rating: 87/100


No comments:

Post a Comment