Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 276: Hopzilla



Name: Hopzilla
Brewer: Terrapin Beer Company (Athens, GA)
Classification: Imperial IPA
Alcohol: 10.8%

Thoughts: The more beer I drink the more I have to pee. Also, the more beer I drink the more I see this phenomenon of having hops somewhere in the name of an IPA. There are two in my Top 10 and many more that have been featured on The Beer Year. This is one of the least original names, but one of the best beers feature the word Hop in the name. It pours a cloudy orangey-gold with an uneven, creamy head. The smells are immediate as they shoot up from the glass to catch your olfactory off guard. Blasts of grapefruit and other tropical flavors are on one side of the nose and big, floral hops are on the other side. Usually after you pour a beer and smell you have the intention of drinking it. There is nothing different here as I did the same. I thought I would just throw you off a bit. This taste is big! I mean A-Rod ego big! And I'm a Yankee fan. A heaping helping of fruity notes, even more fragrant hops, and a nice touch of bitterness. There is a great sophistication to this beer that really challenges the palate and the mind. This is a true craft beer that needs a little experience to honestly enjoy, but I recommend it to anybody that can take the 10.8% ABV.

Rating: 88/100




No comments:

Post a Comment