Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 283: Demo



Name: Demo
Brewer: Magic Hat Brewing Co. (Burlington, VT)
Classification: American Black Ale
Alcohol: 6%

Thoughts: This Black IPA is part of a special series from Magic Hat and I felt I needed to familiarize myself with it. It pours a bark, murky black color with a naturally tan head that fizzled pretty quickly. The smell was a little subdued and it lacked any real tangency. I was able to sense some chocolate nibs as well as some toasted malts that reminded me of a stout. Before I even put my lips to the glass I expected it to be full of roasted malts and maybe some chocolate and toffee, at least some sort of sweetness. That is pretty much what I got. It is just what you expect from a black beer because of the malts used to get that color. The one thing that was unexpected was the tremendous aftertaste. It is really the only reason I would recommend this beer. It tastes like a hot chocolate. It coats the throat and tongue with a winter warming like chocolatiness. Maybe this would taste better warmer and maybe even better in winter. 

Rating: 81/100


No comments:

Post a Comment