Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 286: Conscription



Name: Conscription
Brewer: Roth Brewing (Raleigh, NC)
Classification: American IPA
Alcohol: 3.8%

Thoughts: With all of the NC Breweries that I have featured on this blog I cannot believe that I just now have gotten to Roth Brewing. For two reasons: 1. They make really good and interesting beers 2. I went to high school with the Roth Brothers! Eric, the younger Roth, was in a number of my college classes as well. I have had a few of their beers. These aren't cheap bottles of beer, so I usually only get it on draft. I however, I got Conscription, their low-ABV IPA. I don't know if it is intentionally low, but it is only 3.8%, pretty low. It also has a real clear yellowish gold hue to it, pretty different. The head was very minimal, but the bubbles crack in your ear it was so crisp. The aroma floating above this beer is noticeable and pleasant. I did sense the light, sunshine filled hops first. The sweet malts and sugary apple juice-like flavor come in afterwards to create a unique and rather daring IPA. I say daring because it is really different compared to any other IPA I have had, but not necessarily better. The tartness (or whatever it is, tough to say) at the very end of the taste is a bit if an issue. It leaves a weird aftertaste and I didn't like that. Other than that this is a really interesting beer. Something a bit unexpected, and a bit bold. I am going to do my best to get more of their beer on before the end of The Beer Year is up. 

Rating: 82/100


No comments:

Post a Comment